Sponsored by The Heinz Endowments and The Pittsburgh Foundation, Investing in Professional Artists: The Pittsburgh Region Artists Program is guided by a shared belief in artistic excellence, creative development, and the need for continuous career advancement. Professional artists’ self-directed pursuit of new ideas, opportunities, and skills are essential to the region’s cultural vitality. This program provides resources to professional artists for the breadth of the creative process, from concept to completion. While the program does not require presentation of a fully realized work, it challenges artists to seek to produce the artworks that will define our times, our region, and our lives.
The goals of the program are to:
- Support the creative development of professional artists in the region.
- Create career advancement and recognition opportunities.
- Incentivize creative partnerships between artists and local cultural organizations.
- Increase the visibility of independent working artists in the region’s cultural life.
Investing in Professional Artists is composed of:
Creative Development Grants
Professional artists in any discipline/media and at any career stage may apply directly for grants up to $10,000 to further artistic and career goals.
Residencies at Arts Organizations
Arts organizations may apply for grants up to $35,000 to host a residency with local, national or international artists.
Carol R. Brown Creative Achievement Awards
Two awards of $15,000 will be given annually to an established artist and an emerging artist in recognition of exemplary artistic achievements and promise for future work. Candidates are considered by nomination only.
The foundations will also promote grantees through media outlets and special events to heighten community awareness of the importance and achievements of artists in the region. For more information about Investing in Professional Artists contact: Marilyn Coleman, Project Consultant, at artistsfund [at] pghfdn.org.
The application deadline has passed. Applicants will be notified of results in May 2018. Please check back later this year for our 2019 guidelines.
Watch this video to learn more about Investing in Professional Artists: The Pittsburgh Region Artists Program.
- Carol Brown awards elevate local artists, honor national luminaries (2017)
- Foundations award $176,000 to support local artists (2017)
- $153,000 in Grants to Support Local Artists (2016)