Pittsburgh Home for Babies Fund
The Pittsburgh Home for the Babies was created in 1904 by a group of local women and based on a national model of similar organizations popular across the country at the time. It was inspired by the philanthropic work of Jane Addams who received the Nobel Prize in 1931 for her pioneering work as a social worker.
The Home's original location was 2501 Center Ave., then a residential section of Pittsburgh. In 1918, the home moved to the Von Bonhorst property at 317 West Prospect Ave. The magnificent mansion was purchased by board members and their friends, according to a history of the home.
In the early years of its existence, the Board of Directors gave, earned and solicited money to maintain the institution. They also handled all the social work involved as well as adoptions. In later years, the Home was the beneficiary of several estates, which paid for needed repairs and the hire of qualified and trained professionals.
While many similar organizations closed during the two World Wars and intervening years of depression, The Pittsburgh Home for the Babies prospered and was considered one of the finest institutions of its kind in the U.S. with a paid staff of registered nurses, pediatricians and specialists. The Home eventually closed in February of 1959 as a result of changing national policies on the governing care of dependent babies.
The Home transferred its remaining assets to The Pittsburgh Foundation where it continues to support "needy children preferably but not limited to those under the age of five."
Type of Fund
- Field of Interest