Position Status: Full-Time, Exempt, Permanent
Location: On-Site/Hybrid 3 days in office
Hiring Salary Range: $59,700 – $67,000
The Donor Services Officer (DSO) is responsible for implementing a comprehensive donor relations program to promote interaction with and recognition of donors at all levels. The program goal is to enhance relationships with donors by gaining in-depth knowledge of their values, interests, and financial capabilities, matching their interests with Foundation programs, and being an active solicitor of donors to grow the size of their funds. The officer will lead or participate in projects to form donor partnerships and engage donors in the Center for Philanthropy, when appropriate. The DSO will also have familiarity with planned-giving strategies and how to integrate planned gifts into conversations with existing donors.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Applicant must exemplify core values of The Pittsburgh Foundation in all aspects of work: trust, collaboration, racial justice, accountability and community.
- Manage and execute the current donor relations process, which includes making and coordinating in-person, Zoom or phone meetings with donors with preference to in-person meetings.
- Serve as a philanthropic advisor to a pool of 200 individual donors all of whom should be stewarded to grow their relationship to the organization either by engaging in our services or growing their fund.
- Work with donor services team to meet expectations of the department – that each donor assigned to the position receives the appropriate contact each year and is thoughtfully asked and solicited to increase their participation, where appropriate.
- Complete approximately 125 donor visits a year and provide appropriate contact reports in the system after such visits.
- Initiate conversations with donors regarding the benefit of donating assets from a tax and estate tax planning perspective as means to increase gifts to The Pittsburgh Foundation.
- Convene and collaborate with donors and their trusted professional advisors to create strategic giving solutions.
- Explore creative ways to engage donors within the Center for Philanthropy.
- Educate donors, or connect donors to Program staff when appropriate, such that consideration may be given to expanding donations and growing their fund to benefit these causes.
- Research and provide information to donors, as requested, to ensure that they are making educated grant making decisions.
- Leverage the standard fund management practices of the Foundation to develop agreements that are easily and consistently administered in accordance with the donor’s intent.
- Keep detailed records of donor’s interests, ages, family engagement, potential opportunities for growth.
- Participate and assist in various events and donor engagement opportunities which enhance relationships with donors or potential donors, such as donor appreciation events. Attend development events when possible.
- Work with multi-generational families at The Pittsburgh Foundation to engage them in giving opportunities and connect them with appropriate staff and nonprofits to steward their grant-making experience.
- Maintain a clear understanding of Foundation policies related to all fund types.
- Maintain an understanding of rules and regulations for fund expenses, including those related to fundraisers.
- Conduct presentations to prospective donor or advisor groups, when assigned.
- Work collaboratively and closely with all staff at The Pittsburgh Foundation.
- Other tasks as assigned.
KEY SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Commitment to the Foundation’s values of accountability, collaboration, community, racial justice and trust.
- Experience in fundraising with ability to use the knowledge and expertise to help donors grow the size of the fund and ensure they create a lasting philanthropic legacy at our organization.
- Highly detail oriented; being able to keep track of each individual relationship with donors and their specific needs.
- Ability to work independently and develop solutions to a variety of problems that may arise.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Requires minimum of seven (7) years professional experience in a donor relations or development position.
- Background fundraising preferred.
- Exceptional customer service attitude.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- High degree of proficiency in Microsoft Office suite.
- Experience with development/sales contact systems.
- High levels of accuracy, productivity and initiative are required.
- High degree of professionalism and the ability to work independently and solve problems.
- Able to maintain confidentiality.
- Possess ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines under pressure.
- Works well within a dynamic team environment.
- Flexibility in meeting changing demands.
- Knowledge of planned giving strategies a plus.
- Preferred experience in Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge.
Interested candidates should submit an online application, including a resume and cover letter by March 17, 2024. No phone calls, please.
THE PITTSBURGH FOUNDATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION.
Learn more about: