Position Status: Full-time, Non-Exempt
Salary Range: $43,000- $49,000
The Human Resources Generalist manages the day-to-day human resource functions for approximately 65 employees of the Foundation and its supporting organizations. Candidate should have a strong background in payroll on a leading automated system. Other Human Resource duties will include assisting in employee relations, recruiting, benefits, leave of absences, workers comp, etc.
The HR generalist will have strong customer service skills, ensuring accuracy and timeliness in all employee interactions. The candidate should be a proactive communicator, with strong organizational and execution skills, attention to detail, and able to successfully balance competing demands and priorities and while being solution-focused. Maintains professionalism in all circumstances and communicates with all levels of employees throughout the organization.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Assist in developing and executing personnel procedures and policies, and providing guidance and interpretation for business operations.
- Participate in development of HR objectives and systems, including metrics, queries and standard reports for ongoing company requirements.
- Assist in administering benefits, compensation and employee performance programs.
- Suggest new procedures and policies to continually improve efficiency of the HR department and the organization as a whole, and to improve employee experience.
- Ensure legal compliance of HR state and federal regulations and applicable employment laws, and update policies and/or procedures as required.
Payroll and benefits
- Completes monthly payroll processing.
- Works with accounting manager to complete payroll journal entries.
- Manages employee benefits administration.
- Manages the Foundation’s time-tracking system, which is used by the employees to record vacation, sick and personal days, as well as hours devoted to particular functions defined by their managers.
- Provides assistance with annual open enrollment and year-end processes.
- Maintains personnel and benefit files in compliance with applicable legal requirements.
- Communicates all employee changes in benefit plan enrollment to the plan providers.
- Reconciles benefits accounts on monthly basis.
- Completes and files quarterly payroll tax returns.
- Assists the accounting manager and Finance department with audits, reporting and special projects.
- Assists employees with questions regarding pay, benefits and policies.
Training and development
- Participates and provides support to the Foundation’s Diversity, Equity & Inclusion and Racial Justice Committee.
- Assists VP of HR and chief diversity, equity and inclusion officer with development/content, materials and miscellaneous documents for organizational development, racial justice and DEI training and initiatives.
- Assist in the communication, interpretation and upkeep of the employee handbook, employee directory and organizational chart and contributes to the development of policies.
- Assists with developing, planning and coordinating training events for staff.
Recruiting and on-boarding
- Prepare paperwork, schedule and facilitate smooth new-hire onboarding processes, coordinating with cross-functional departments to deliver an exceptional first-day experience.
- Responsible for posting positions, pre-screening candidates and scheduling interviews for the Foundation and supporting organizations.
- Coordinates employee entrance and exit processes.
- Ensures the Foundation intranet stays up-to date relevant HR information.
- Become knowledgeable in HR policies and procedures.
- Works closely with the VP, HR and chief diversity, equity and inclusion officer on special projects.
- Handles confidential information with sensitivity.
- Other duties as assigned.
Key skills and experience
- Proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Commitment to the Foundation’s values of collaboration, trust, racial justice, community and accountability.
- Bachelor's degree and three to five years of human resources experience.
- Prior ADP payroll and HRIS experience, preferably WorkforceNow.
- Must have experience running payroll with knowledge of deductions, taxed and pre-taxed benefits, PTO, federal and state taxes, ability to run payroll reports and strong computer skills for complex computerized payroll-system usage.
- Cultural competence and a commitment to racial equity.
- Diversity, equity and inclusion work highly desirable.
- Energetic with the ability to put people at ease and feel welcomed and engaged.
- A high level of professionalism and the ability to work collegially with staff across departments.
- Requires excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Results oriented with skills in project management, organization, planning and attention to details.
- Proactive, self-motivated, self-starter and reliable.
- High sense of integrity, confidentiality, honesty and ethics.
- Flexible, responsive and collaborative work style with a strong service mentality.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, including Word and Excel.
Interested candidates should submit resume and cover letter to jobs [at] pghfdn.org. Applications are due by April 30, 2021. No phone calls please.
THE PITTSBURGH FOUNDATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION.