Spring Donor Event - Resilience on the River: Tour of Millvale
Thursday, May 18, 2017
When: Thursday, May 18, from 3:30 to 6:00 p.m.
Where: Throughout the borough of Millvale
Mary, Queen of Croatians, was painted by Maxo Vanka in 1937. Photo by Rob Long/Clear Story.
Just across Route 28, residents and businesses in the borough of Millvale are teaming up to improve quality of life in five key areas: water, food, energy, air and equity. It’s all part of the Millvale Ecodistrict Pivot Plan -- a collaboration between nonprofits, architects and entrepreneurs. During this exciting guided trolley tour, Pittsburgh Foundation donors will discover how those efforts are paying off. The tour will focus on innovative projects happening in this tight-knit small town that NEXTpittsburgh writer Drew Cranisky says feels “like a trip back in time.”
- Millvale Community Library, which uses solar panels to generate 100 percent of its electrical power.
- The Murals of Maxo Vanka, known as master works of social justice and considered the Croatian-American artist’s “Gift to America.”
- Riverfront Park, where river front trails run from Millvale to downtown.
- Launch Millvale, where nonprofit New Sun Rising is cooking up a food enterprise incubator at the former Moose Lodge #68.
- Grist House Craft Brewery, the tour wraps up at this popular tap room known for its craft brews and dog-friendly beer garden.
For more information, call 412-394-4294.