Benjamin R. Fisher Fund
Established: July 1987
The Benjamin R. Fisher Fund was created by Benjamin R. Fisher Jr. in honor of his late father, chairman and past-president of Fisher Scientific Company.
Benjamin R. Fisher Sr. was one of the three sons of Chester Garfield Fisher who founded the scientific equipment company in 1902. The company prospered and grew until it was sold to Allied Corp. in 1981.
By the time Allied acquired it, Fisher Scientific had established itself as a dominant force in the scientific equipment business through sheer marketing savvy, creating a catalog of test tubes and Bunsen burners that rivaled the Sears and Roebuck Company. Fisher Scientific built a strong reputation for reliable goods and service, selling primarily to chemistry labs and high schools throughout the U.S.
Ben Sr. spent his entire 44-year career working for the family company, retiring as chairman of the board in 1982, shortly after the sale to Allied. During his lifetime, he played an active role in Pittsburgh-area charitable giving through leadership roles with Children's Hospital, the Allegheny Conference for Community Development, Shadyside Presbyterian Church and as president of the Carnegie Hero Fund.
He was also active with The Pittsburgh Foundation, serving on several committees including the development subcommittee, distribution committee and the advisory committee.
The fund honors his contributions to the Pittsburgh community as an unrestricted fund to be used where the needs are greatest as determined by The Pittsburgh Foundation.
Type of Fund