Arthur M. Scully Memorial Fund
Arthur Scully Jr. was a former Banker and Officer of Mellon Bank and CEO of the Rolling Rock Club for 24 years, a private 10,000 acre country club in the Ligonier Valley. He died on October 28, 2010, at the age of 82.
A native of Pittsburgh, Arthur attended boarding school in New Hampshire and returned home to study at the University of Pittsburgh, graduating in 1950. He joined the U.S. Navy Reserve in 1951. His first job was with Mellon Bank, now BNY Mellon, working in the trust department.
In 1969, he became CEO of the Rolling Rock Club, an elite reserve founded in 1917 by Richard Beatty Mellon, brother of Andrew Mellon, who turned the area into a rural retreat with well-stocked trout and duck ponds, shooting ranges, fly fishing streams, hunting fields, a golf course and tennis courts and first-class riding stables. He is largely credited for turning the family club into a well-managed operation, improving employee training and providing company insurance for all who worked there.
He was also an avid volunteer whose charitable efforts touched the lives of many. He was a Trustee of the Western Pennsylvania School for Blind Children and a Trustee of the Richard King Mellon Foundation, a Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh Life Trustee and served on numerous boards.
The fund supports those charities and institutions in which Arthur had an abiding interest, including St. Margaret's Hospital, Calvary Episcopal Church, Boy Scouts of Allegheny County and the Western Pennsylvania School for the Blind.
Type of Fund