Charity Packer Buchanan Fund
John G. Buchanan established this fund in memory of his wife, Charity, asking that annual gifts be made to her favorite charities.
Unfortunately, little is known about Charity. John was born on July 24, 1888, and received a general education at the Liberty School, Shady Side Academy and Princeton University. He went on to Harvard Law School where he was an Editor of the Harvard Law Review. During WWI, he served on the staff of the Judge Advocate General of the Army. John and Charity had two sons and were members of East Liberty Presbyterian Church.
When the fund was created, John shared that he had been one of four lawyers who worked with presidents of The Foundation's trustee banks during the formation of The Pittsburgh Foundation. As an Attorney, John assisted many of his clients in establishing funds with the Foundation.
The fund continues to support East Liberty Presbyterian Church, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Children's Hospital and Wilson College. In the case of Wilson College, the funding assisted in helping to keep the college open during austere times. Today the Chambersburg, Pa. liberal arts college for women continues to flourish.
Type of Fund