Bertha K. Blum Memorial Fund
This fund is among the first established with The Pittsburgh Foundation, which was founded in 1945. It was created by the children of the Blum and Bachman families in lasting memory of their mother, Bertha Kaufmann Blum.
Born in 1868, Bertha was a part of the Kaufmann family made famous by the department store chain that originated in Pittsburgh in the early 20th century. Lillian Kaufmann was Bertha's sister and Lillian's husband Edgar was a cousin.
Little is known about her early life. She married Max Blum, who worked for Kaufmann's before he broke away with a group to start another store chain, Kaufman and Baer's, which later became the department store Gimbels. The Blums lived in the East End and had two children, Richard and Jeanette.
Bertha's grandson James Bachman eventually became advisor of the fund. At the recommendation of James and his wife Ruth, the fund has supported many charitable organizations in the region including: the Phipps Conservatory restoration, Pace School, Rodef Shalom Congregation, United Jewish Federation of Pittsburgh and many hospitals programs.
Type of Fund