Reports to: Controller
Position Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Location: Hybrid 3 days in office
Hiring Salary Range: $68,200-$76,000
The Senior Accountant is a key member of the Finance & Operations team, providing accounting and reporting services to support The Pittsburgh Foundation and its supporting organizations. The senior accountant — taxation and payroll is responsible for the preparation of federal, state and local tax returns, monitoring financial compliance with state and federal tax regulations, developing and deploying internal and external financial reports, and payroll accounting.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate the preparation of federal tax filings, including IRS Forms 990, 990-T and 5500, for the Foundation and its supporting organizations.
- Prepare, review, and file local and state tax forms, including forms BCO – 10 and Pennsylvania W-3, on behalf of the Foundation and its supporting organizations, as needed.
- Assist Investments & Resource Stewardship with foreign tax reporting, as needed.
- Recognize, identify and research tax issues to summarize results and propose resolutions.
- Work with Human Resources to review and analyze payroll tax reporting for the Foundation and its supporting organizations.
- Prepare various manual journal entries and financial reconciliations as needed.
- Prepare various monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports as assigned.
- Assist with the annual external audit of the Foundation and its supporting organizations.
- Remain up to date on community foundation and nonprofit best practices, specific to tax accounting principles and regulations.
- Participate in various cross functional teams for the improvement of financial and administrative processes across the organization.
KEY SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Commitment to the Foundation’s values of accountability, collaboration, community, racial justice and trust.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Understand and analyze financial statements.
- Flexible, responsive, and collaborative work style with a strong service mentality.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of all donors, employees, and vendor data.
- Possess ability to multitask and prioritize deadlines.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Requires bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field.
- Minimum of three years of relevant experience, preferably in a nonprofit or foundation environment.
- Knowledge of tax and compliance standards as they apply to nonprofits.
- Familiarity with nonprofit endowment accounting preferred.
Interested candidates should submit an online application with resume and cover letter. No phone calls please.
THE PITTSBURGH FOUNDATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION.