The Emergency Action Fund grant application period closed Friday, May 8, 2020 at 11:59 p.m.
PURPOSE: The COVID-19 pandemic represents a once-in-a-generation challenge to people around the world. In the United States, our lifesaving and life-protecting systems—economic, health-related, family support, cultural, educational—are threatened in the face of an illness with no known means of prevention or treatment. Yet, there are positive signs of our ability as a nation to transcend fear and work together. In the first weeks of the pandemic, hundreds of community foundations across the nation established emergency response funds in their communities. In each sector of our community, people are bringing their talents and strengths to bear in the effort to respond to the crisis.
FUNDING PRIORITIES: The Emergency Action Fund will address the immediate and long-term impacts of COVID-19 by providing funding in four areas:
- Operating support for small and mid-sized nonprofit organizations (annual budgets under $5 million) serving communities with predominantly low-income households. Funding will be awarded to assure that these organizations can continue to meet the basic needs of the people in their communities, particularly relating to food and housing insecurity, and to cover losses associated with the disruption of their operations.
- Organizations that manage emergency funds that provide direct financial assistance to individuals impacted by COVID-19.
- Support for Federally Qualified Health Centers and other community health facilities.
- Small arts organizations (and individual artists) that have had to cancel productions scheduled between March 1 and June 30, 2020.
ELIGIBILITY: Nonprofits applying for funding must:
- Have a current 501(c)(3) status or a fiscal sponsor with this designation.
- Serve residents of Allegheny, Westmoreland or Beaver counties.
GRANT AWARD AMOUNTS: We expect the needs generated by this pandemic will exceed the available funds. Grants amounts are expected to range from $5,000 to $25,000 and will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Larger grants will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Grants will be awarded on a rolling basis.
GRANT TIMELINE: Our goal is to provide funding decisions within 15 business days of application.
Read detailed fund guidelines and full application criteria.