Alice McCaffrey Scholarship Fund The Alice McCaffrey Scholarship Fund of The Pittsburgh Foundation was established on October 4, 2013 by the parishioners of Saints John and Paul as a gift to their pastor, Father Joseph McCaffrey, honoring his 25th anniversary as a priest. His mother, Alice, was born on September 8, 1937 in Avella, PA. She married John J. McCaffrey in 1956 and had three sons, Paul J., Rev. Joseph R., and Peter J. On August 8, 2011, surrounded by her family, Alice passed on to the loving arms of God. She had always been a woman of tremendous character, courage, and faith. It was her faith that inspired her son, Joseph, in his vocation to the priesthood. In the past four years, five seminarians from 4 dioceses have received $19,500 that funded their experiences from Alaska to Texas to Pennsylvania. They have worked among the poor with the Missionaries of Charity in Ethiopia to the pilgrims of Santiago in Spain to the poor of Juneau and Fairbanks, Alaska. These experiences have enriched the lives of future priests which will bear much fruit for the people they will serve. Current applicants can expect to be notified of their award status in June so that they may make their summer plans accordingly.
Average Award: $4,500
Award Type: Single-Year Award
Application Period Closes: 2023-24 applications will be available in January.
- Attend a major Catholic seminary attached to a religious order or diocese in the United States as a graduate student.
- Pursue a degree or studies in a pastoral experience outside of the required seminary training or as a part of the pastoral year.
- Be a seminarian pursuing a pastoral experience outside of the required seminary training or as part of their pastoral year. They must also be in good standing with their Bishop .
How to Apply
- Complete the application by clicking the blue button above.
- Complete the essay section of the application.
- Submit three letters of reference: one from your Bishop stating that you are in good standing and; one from the Diocese or other charitable institution with whom the pastoral experience will be performed and; one recommendation from the rector or faculty member who supports this experience.
- Submit a detailed budget listing the anticipated expenses of the experience as well as any amounts received or requested from any other funding source.
- Submit your unofficial transcripts.