Oliver L. Johnson and William A. Lester Families Fund The Oliver L. Johnson & William A. Lester Families Fund of the Pittsburgh Foundation was created to provide educational opportunities for deserving students in financial need with a preference for African American students or black African students born in Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria, Senegal-Gambia, Zaire, Kenya or Cameroon who are committed to pursuing formal education beyond the twelfth grade in high school. The donors, themselves African-American, seek to encourage and support students who have already displayed academic ability and leadership skills and who recognize that a solid educational foundation is a necessary prerequisite to making a positive contribution to society.
Average Award: $20,000 Over 4 Years
Award Type: Multi-Year (up to 4 years).
Application Period Opens: 1/17/2024
Application Period Closes: 4/1/2024
- Attend high school in Allegheny County, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Washington, or Westmoreland Counties as a graduating senior.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- Plan to attend an accredited vocational or technical trade school OR 2-or 4-year college or university.
- Preference will be given to African American students or black African students born in Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria, Senegal-Gambia, Zaire, Kenya or Cameroon.
How to Apply
- Complete the application by clicking the blue button above.
- Complete the essay section of the application.
- Submit your FAFSA Submission Summary (FSS). If you have not already received your FSS, you can do so by applying for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Submit one letter of reference.
- Submit your unofficial transcripts.