Daniel R. Miller (Fretts) Memorial Scholarship Fund The Daniel R. Miller (Fretts) Memorial Scholarship Fund was established to provide scholarship assistance for vocational and higher educational opportunities for Scottdale Borough/East Huntingdon Twp. youth. The fund was endowed by Daniel R. (Bob) Miller’s daughter Karen to honor the memory of her father and the Miller & Fretts families of the Scottdale Area. Bob Miller, for whom this scholarship is named, was born and raised in Scottdale. He believed that the core values instilled in him by his immediate Miller and Fretts relatives in the Scottdale area were a contributing factor to his later successful business career and other lifetime experiences. Growing up in Scottdale, before his family moved to Washington, D.C., Bob acquired an abiding interest in designing and crafting specialty items from wood and from metal that would become his lifetime calling. At the outbreak of World War II, Bob enlisted in the United States Navy, serving in the South Pacific. In the Navy, he, became a deep sea diver and excelled as a metalsmith. Following the war, Bob continued his work as a metalsmith, which lead to his establishing D & M Metal Specialties, Inc. For many years "D & M" would make significant contributions to major construction projects in Washington, D.C. and the metropolitan areas. Bob retired to Frederick Co., MD where he continued to enjoy his lifelong work as well as a bit of farming. The purpose of the scholarship is to provide scholarship assistance to a graduating senior from Southmoreland High School who wishes to pursue a career in a traditional trade or modern equivalent (engineering, architecture, design etc.).
Average Award: $1,000 to $2,000
Award Type: Single Year Award. Previous recipients are encouraged to re-apply in consecutive years.
- Attend high school as a graduating senior attending EWCTC or be currently attend a 2 or 4 year institution.
- Pursue a degree or studies in a trade vocation, an engineering program or computer science program.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0.
- Plan to attend or currently attend, an accredited vocational or technical trade school OR 2-or 4-year college or university.
- Preference will be given to a student attending EWCTC, attending Southmoreland High School and living in Scottdale Borough or East Huntingdon Township.
How to Apply
- Complete the essay section of the application.
- Submit your Student Aid Report (SAR). If you have not already received your SAR, you can do so by applying for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Submit one letter of reference from an individual not related to you.
- Submit your unofficial transcripts.