- Are arts organizations eligible to apply?
No. The Pittsburgh Foundation offers grant support through other funding streams that support small arts organizations. Learn more about how to apply.
- What types of grants can my organization apply for?
Small and Mighty provides three types of support: unrestricted operating support, capacity-building support and program-specific support. Requests for organizational startup support will not be considered. Applicants may only apply for one type of grant support.
1. Unrestricted Operating Support: Funding that enables an organization to carry out its mission. For example, operating support can underwrite administrative infrastructure, implement a strategic plan and/or maintain core programs and essential staff.
2. Capacity-Building Support: Funding for specific activities or projects designed to strengthen an organization’s governance, leadership, programmatic or administrative capacity. Some examples of allowable capacity building activities include program evaluation, staff professional development, technology improvements and best-practice implementation. Requests for strategic plan development, exploration of mergers or other strategic alliances, real estate assessments and capital expenses will not be considered.
3. Program-Specific Support: Funding intended to keep good programs going at their current level of service or to test new ideas or partnerships that improve access to services. Program-specific support is designed for time-sensitive requests to help program participants meet basic needs that cannot be easily secured through other public resources.
- How large are Small and Mighty grants?
- The Small and Mighty grants program's total budget for 2019 is $380,000.
- Applicants may apply for grant awards between $2,500 and $15,000.
- All grants will be for a period of no more than 12 months.
- Operating support may be renewable for up to three years.
- Grantees may only have one open grant with the Foundation in any 12-month period. Therefore, organizations that already have a grant through another program of the Foundation are not eligible to apply.
- Where do I enter the access code to access the grant application?
- After you enter your username and password, click “Apply” at the top of the first page that appears after the log-in page.
- Enter the access code in the box at the top right side of the Apply page (see image below).
- The Small and Mighty Grants Program application will appear after the code is accepted.
Still have questions?
For questions regarding guidelines, your proposal or eligibility, please contact Michelle McMurray at mcmurraym [at] pghfdn.org or 412-394-2610.
For questions regarding logging in to the online grant portal or online grant application, please contact Jill Ritchie at ritchiej [at] pghfdn.org or 412-394-2611.
For questions about using data or developing measures of success, please contact Michael Yonas at yonasm [at] pghfdn.org or 412-394-2612.